Luz’s Bone Marrow Donation Experience

Posted October 6th, 2009 by Be The Match and filed in Donor Stories

Luz donated bone marrow through the Be The Match Registry®. (Luz is shown with her husband, Santiago, and daughters, Gloria and Grace, who all supported her through the donation process.)

Luz’s donation story:
I decided to join the registry when our church was looking for a match for one of our pastors. I joined in the summer and by October of the same year I received a letter stating that I was a possible match for a patient.

Of course, there was no question in my mind about donating. I have two daughters and the girl that would be receiving my bone marrow was only seventeen.

“Seventeen, wow!” I thought. “She should be thinking about prom and graduation, not about whether she would find a donor.”

I went back for more tests and it was determined that I was a match. I donated marrow.

My experience was hassle- and pain-free. Veronica -– my donor center representative — was very professional and compassionate. I did some research on the internet and found that it was supposed to be painful, but I did not experience any pain or discomfort.

I donated on Wednesday and by Saturday I was back at work. I knew I was in God’s hands. By being exposed to the idea of donating marrow, my older daughter found that she could be a volunteer courier, and she joined the program. It’s her way of contributing.

Donating was an amazing experience and a little surreal. Imagine, being a match for somebody who is a total stranger. Wow!! Isn’t God amazing.

I hope that by realizing that this was a pain- and discomfort-free experience, others will be inspired to donate. I am thankful for the experience.

8 Responses to “Luz’s Bone Marrow Donation Experience”

1. Mary says:

God is amazing and it’s so awesome to see what miracles can occur when we’re on the same page as him. We’re blessed so that we can be a blessing, and that’s why the be a match program is so important. Thanks Luz for being that blessing!

2. Michelle says:

Amazing story, I wish someday that I can be a match for someone. God bless you Luz, your story has touched my heart.

3. Bonnie Beam says:

I know that God will give you many blessings for the great kindness you have done.

4. Rita Brinegar says:

Luz, you are such a beacon, My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with a rare for of Leukemia in april 08, she had to have a bone marrow transplant and that was so very scary to me…I was in shock for a long time….she, after 2 rounds of chemo, had intensive chemo and radiation treatments and them received cord blood to replace her cells…she is doing well and I will never know who that came from…they do not let you know who cord blood came from…but I will be forever greatful to whatever mother choose to do that…it gave my daughter another chance at life…I applaude you for being there for someone….thank you for being such a caring person. People like you, Truly make life worth living…your family is lucky to have you!!! Much love and prayers to you, Rita

5. Sikry says:

Being the wife of a cancer survivor all I can say is that God works in everyway possible to make things happen, and bone marrow/stem cell donors are a very important part of when it comes to miracles. My husband is alive today, first of all because God’s grace and mercy, secondly, because of a brave and courageous donor who was willing to give and get nothing in return. THANK YOU & GOD BLESS. That is all I have to say 🙂

6. Mike Benson says:

I am on the list also would be honored to give marrow if I get the call. God Bless

7. Rachelle; Indianapolis says:

Lots of people ask me how I could put myself in a position to suffer such pain likely for someone I would not know. Befor I just told them that it seemed like a small price to pay for a life; and that I would want someone to do it for me or my family.
    Now I can tell them that the pain is no longer a factor. Maybe I can convince others to join.

8. Perfect Bound Books says: