New volunteers go “social”

Posted May 3rd, 2010 by Be The Match and filed in Donor Stories, Patient Stories

Be The Match Social Media Active Response Team (SMART) volunteers reach out through social media like Facebook, Twitter or blogs to engage and inspire people to get involved with our life-saving mission. We’re excited about the launch of our SMART volunteers and the program’s potential to connect more people to Be The Match.

Our volunteers are some of our most passionate advocates. To become official SMART volunteers, participants completed a volunteer application, and were trained and tested.

Our new volunteers Are:

See what they’re saying about Be The Match.

“Just completed my #SMART training for the @BetheMatch that signs up potential bone marrow donors across the US & Puerto Rico,” said Lisa Frank.

“I came home to an email with my first assignment as a member of the Social Media Active Response Team (SMART) volunteer force for Be The Match,” said Brian Koffman.

“I nominate @BeTheMatch for a Shorty Award in #nonprofit because…a donor saved my life and he has given me a hope,” said Rachael Leisy.

“This is truly an honor and privilege. A few weeks ago I was approached by Be The Match (aka the National Marrow Donor Program),” said Stacie Tamaki

11 Responses to “New volunteers go “social””

1. valerie mcnulty says:

i am now a possible donor…please use me, i am a renewable resource!

2. Catherine says:

I have e-mailed over and over to try and become a volunteer and no one ever gets back to me with information on how to become one. Can someone please help me??

3. Jeff Collins says:

I donated last year. It was easy to do and not the big deal people think it is. Pain, discomfort, inconvenience, etc., they were all minor an inconsequencial when compared to the possibility of saving a life. The most pain I felt when donating was at the end when they took the tape off my hair arms. Other than that is was like giving blood for a couple hours.

4. Rebecca Armendariz says:

Happy to help if you need me! I’m on just about every social network there is. 😉

5. Dotticurrier says:

I think that if you are healthy and able, you should consider being a bone marrow donor. registry@nmdp.org
    I joined long ago when they had a Marrow Drive thru the Blood Bank at Lee Memorial Hospital. Hey! That’s another great thing for you to do! Anyone who knows me, knows that I will always suggest that everyone/anyone become a blood donor. When I hear someone say, “I hate the needles” – – – umm, is there ANYONE out there who LIKES them? Come on! Each and every time the needle is inserted, I squeeze my eyes tight and even turn my head away. It doesn’t last long, so don’t be scared-off!
    Now, as I’ve just read the newsletter from BE THE MATCH, National Marrow Donor Program, I learned that donating marrow is no more painful than donating blood.
    This is a tremendous organization and so is your local blood bank. Please think about it. Most folks don’t give it a thot until a potential tragedy strikes them or their family. Come on! I challenge you to become a donor today! Go! Get involved! Stop talking about it and DO IT!
    See you there!

6. Velicity Matthews says:

I am registered now 2 years.

7. Celina Villegas says:

I lost my dad to cancer 6 years ago. That inspired me to become a bone marrow donor. Six months after registering I became a match. I donated bone marrow to a little girl who was five years old at the time. That was 5 years ago. Yes, there is pain. But nothing compared to what the little girl and her family had to endure during treatment. I now donate blood on a regular basis.

8. Cindymedeiros67 says:

I am a registered donor and willing to help anyone who needs a match.

9. Tom says:

My wife is a recent transplant recipient (Aug 30, 2010), and I’m currently an executive at a Social Media company. I’d love to join or help out. Can you let me know how to volunteer?

10. Elizabeth Jordan says:

I would like to join the SMART volunteers! I donated 2 years ago – best thing I ever did 🙂

11. online degree says:

Great and nice post thank you.