Be ready if you’re called as a match

Posted May 2nd, 2011 by Be The Match and filed in Donor Stories

When you join the Be The Match Registry®, you could be called at any time as a potential match for a patient. You could be a match in a few months, many years after you join, or maybe never. If we do contact you, you might be one of several potential matches, or you may be the only one on the registry who could save a patient’s life.

What if YOU are the one who is asked to donate?

Respond quickly
If you get a message from us, respond quickly to let us know whether you are still ready and available to donate. When a patient is searching for a donor, a quick response makes a difference. Even if you decide not to participate, please let us know so we can focus the search on other potential donors.

Be prepared for the call

Tell your family you’re a member of Be The Match Registry
It’s a good idea to tell your family and friends that you are on the registry and committed to be a marrow donor so they will be ready to support you if you are ever a match.

Stay informed
Read your monthly registry member e-newsletter and understand the steps of donation. You can find more information on our website (see the Registry Members section). We want you to have the information you need if you’re a potential match.

Keep us updated
The most important way to stay ready is to keep us updated if your contact information changes so we can reach you quickly if you’re a potential match for a patient. Update your information whenever your phone number, mailing or email address changes.

What about changes in my health?
Some changes in your health could affect your suitability as a donor. If you have changes in your health, you can review our health guidelines that will apply if you are a potential match for a patient. If you think you may no longer be eligible to donate, or if you have questions, you can update us online or call us at 1 (800) 627-7692.

Thank you!

As a committed member of the Be The Match Registry, you are giving patients and their families hope.

99 Responses to “Be ready if you’re called as a match”

1. Barb Frederick says:

I’m ready!

2. Charlotte Matthews says:

FYI – I just read that I will no longer be eligible when I turn 61, I will be 61 years of age at the end of May, so if I am not needed by then you can also remove me from the email list

Charlotte

3. Mike Luther says:

I am ready and willing, it is the least I can do because my niece was the recipient of a marrow transplant 17 years ago and she is still goin’ strong ¡!¡

4. Lee Harlock says:

I’m ready to help when ever needed. My dad was a recipient of a marrow transplant even though it didn’t save him i believe it extended his life a little longer.

5. Kevin Spreier says:

I updated my contact information, but how do I know if my file is active? I never heard anything back after sending in the blood work, and it’s been years since I did that.

• Stacy says:

Kevin, if you’re receiving the Marrow Connection enewsletter for registry members, your record is active in our system. (However, not all members receive it – if we don’t have a correct email address or the member has unsubscribed.) If you’re not receiving the enewsletter, you can call Be The Match at 800-627-7692 and ask us to check your record.
      –Stacy, from Be The Match

6. Lisa Ochs says:

I’m ready & willing any time.

7. Dan says:

I signed up a few months ago and haven’t heard anything. I just want to make sure that I am on the list. Does anyone know where I can find out?

• Alyssa says:

I didn’t hear anything for about 3 months and then finally got an email notice. You can also try the be a match website and see if you have an active account. Once everything was processed all of a sudden I had an active account.

8. Linda Patrick says:

I’m ready to serve at any time!! Count me in.

9. Dave Nyberg says:

I had the honor of donating several years ago here in the Twin Cities…and am ready to go again! Thanks for all the great work you do, NMDP.

10. Thomas Nihill says:

Standing By!!! I was in the narrow search about three years ago,BUT a family member was a better match. I was as ready then, as I am today. Saving lives is what matters!! Thank you for saving lives!!

11. Molly D. says:

I’m ready, anytime!!! Looking forward to helping.

12. elisabeth says:

i signed up over 15 years ago after my then sister in law was diagnosed with leukemia. i’m just wondering if i am still in the program?

13. JR says:

Ready Freddy!

14. Jeff C. says:

I am ready, willing and able!!!

15. patricia downen says:

I am ready,willing and hopeful i will be a match for someone out there!:)

16. juan candray says:

Hi i have been waiting after the blood test and no one has got in touch with me

17. Norma R says:

I’m Ready any time!!

18. Louie Hinojosa says:

Did it once and I’am ready to it again if called!!!!

19. nikole marek says:

Im ready…. may the lord bless every family both waiting and supporting this noble cause!!!

20. Tamara Aydt says:

I’m still ready after 10+yrs

21. Jean Ivey says:

I had the honor of donating about 7 years ago, and I’d love to do it again!

22. Barbara Pauley says:

I was contacted by NMDP and Be the Match Foundation a few days before Easter, and I was told I was a potential match for someone. I immediately submitted the medical questionnaire and was told to expect a call from my local Blood Center to proceed to testing, etc. No one ever contacted me from either NMDP, the Foundation, or the Blood Center. I was so excited I would have donated the same day I got the initial email! I don’t understand what happened unless the patient and/or doctor had a change of heart, which seems unlikely if the transplant is necessary. I would have appreciated some kind of notification of why I contacted further. I’ve been on the registry for over 15 years and this was my first contact.

• Duane Wilson says:

It is hard to be patient when you are so ready to donate…I know I had to go through the same process over a year and a half ago…after my first contact is was almost 2 months latter that I would hear form “Be the Match” again…at which time I was asked for some blood work to find the best possible match…and another 2 months before I learned that I was considered a possible match…at that time the lady who they were doing the search for was not in need of the transplant at that time…but a week latter I was contacted and told that her Doctor had choosen me over a number of possible donors…I am sure that each situation is different and the time frames differ as well…for me it was 7 months from the time I was fist contacted till my donation date…so just hang there and be ready if they call back…

• Mary says:

I was very impressed with how i was kept updated. I had been on the list more than 20 years before I was called so when I was I responded quickly, had another test done and was told that it could be 4-6 months before I was actually needed. Time passed and I hadn’t been called but I later received a very nice letter telling me that sadly the patient had died before they could do the transplant. I was very sad to hear this but appreciated knowing. The representative that contacted me from the NMDP was excellent. I encourage you to email and ask a question if you are feeling uncertain. I assure you that your participation is valued!!

Mary

23. Rupali Tandon says:

I am ready. Whenver needed let me know.
    Wish I can save somebody’s life.

24. Ana Cecilia Morillas says:

I’M SO READY!

25. Teresa Boykin says:

I’m ready and have been on the list 15 years. I wouldn’t think twice about it. 🙂

26. Della Riccardi says:

I am ready & looking forward to saving a life !

27. Theresa Rothschild says:

I am ready & looking forward to saving a life !

28. Cassandra says:

its been over 10 years since I registered and I am ready, willing and (as far as I know) able to donate – just waiting for the call!

29. Felicia Romine says:

I’m ready!

30. Amy Larsen says:

Ready and willing!

31. Lisa says:

As a mom you give life. It is a feeling that is unparalleled by any I have ever known. I can only imagine how similar it must feel to know that you were able to preserve a life by being a donor. I applaud each and every potential donor as we say “bring it!”.

32. Richard DiBella says:

If I can donate, I will. Please keep me in the loop for another 2.5 years, until I turn 61. dick dibella

33. betty meara says:

Ready anytime.

34. Joyce D says:

I was a donor after being on the donor list for 5 yrs; although my recipient only lived 6 mos., I consider it one of the most important things I’ve ever done and I would gladly do it again.

35. Amy V says:

Ready and willing here, and have been for the last 12 or 13 years!

36. Jim R says:

I wish I would be contacted. I am sooo ready. Any Time!

37. hors kors says:

i dont agree with this donation. They don not reward the donors while docs are happy to get paid. i hate this damn system in the name of philanthrophy. Its not cynicism.

• Celeste says:

Wow! This is what doctors do for a living. Of course they get paid. Do you work? Do you get paid for the work you do?

• Eileen says:

It’s a mitzvah to donate.
        As for what doctors do for a living… they are continually going to school to learn the latest technique on how to help patients heal faster (both physically and emotionally). Most doctors are priceless and spend more than 40 hours a week finding cures.

• Kendra Stephens says:

The life you give is the reward….no matter the length. Good people do things for others and expect nothing in return. I’ll be praying for you.

• Melinda says:

Saving a life is the only reward or “payment” that should matter! Merry Christmas

38. Vickie Bevington says:

I am ready . . . and will remain willing as long as I am able. . . which should be another 8 1/2 years. I’ve been the initial match several times and will continue to hope and pray that I will be the one.

39. Janiqua says:

It’s not about material rewards. It’s about life. It’s a gift whether you are the donor or recipient. If you don’t like the system, don’t be a donor. It’s very simple – CHOICE.

• Michaelene says:

You said it Janiqua! Why in heavens name would you become a donor and expect compensation? I’ve been on the donor list since 1996 and am approaching 61 yrs of age. I would be so honored if I were chosen to donate to help prolong or better, save a life..

40. Tim says:

I have been on the list for years. Last December I was called as a “potential” donor. I went through the steps (all very easy) only to have a last minute call that “the situation changed”. The process was the easiest part. The hard thing for me is that I may never find that pefect match again—how sad is that? I just want to help where I can. I pray that the individual who needed me got better.

41. Priscilla says:

Call me please!! I am super ready!

42. Claude says:

I have been a member for at least 18 years (I don’t even remember) and not once was called. I hope I don’t get too old before you need me.

43. Jayne says:

Ready when you are.

44. Sonia says:

I have been on the registry for many years; I don’t remember how long. I’ve never been called. I assumed it was because my blood type is not as common as some. Also, my Dad was from Texas (Swedish/Irish), and my mama is Polish. That’s not a common mix. I thought that might have an effect. I’ve always wanted to donate, but never got the chance. It’s disappointing to learn that I won’t be able to be on the registry on my 61st birthday which is in July. I also understand that you have to do the best for the patient and the donor. I continue to donate blood whenever I can.

• Jill says:

I was on the registry for 8 years and matched 2 people. They only let you donate twice,than they take you off the list. I know how you feel, I wish they would change the rules.

45. Sun Young Jang says:

I’m ready I think.

46. Sun Young Jang says:

I’m ready.

47. Randy says:

I joined the registry 18 years ago when a young girl named Janessa needed a transplant. I was in the hospital getting my appendix removed. Oddly enough we were looking for a girl’s name that started with a “J” (all of our kids are JJ’s) so we named this child Janessa and decided to get on the list to see if we could help our daughters namesake.

15 years later my mother was diagnosed with Leukemia and given only one week to live. There was not time for a Bone Marrow transplant but with blood transfusions, radiation and Chemo she was eventually cured of her cancer.

The next year I was matched with a unknown leukemia patient. Thanks to a young girl named Janessa who gave us our daughter’s name and gave me a desire to be a donor, I had the priviledge of helping to save a life.

Whenever I am depressed, I can always look back to this time when I learned that my life counted for something very special to some other family.

• Brenna says:

That is a beautiful and inspirational story. You did a great thing and I’m ready if given the opportunity to do so as well. Thanks for posting this and thanks to everyone involved in this wonderful cause.

48. Edward says:

I’m ready to give if called upon. I signed up to be a donor when a friend of mine was desperately looking for a match. While my friend never found a match and has long since passed, I keep my information up to date in hopes that it will save a life. I hope to look into the eyes of a wife and children and see tears of joy rather than tears of sorrow for one lost so young in life.

49. Lisa says:

What a blessing it would be to be called.
    I hope I can help some day!

50. Marilyn Ayala says:

I am ready!

51. Kathy says:

Before you are dropped from the list maybe you could find someone to take your place?

52. Diana says:

Got called as a potential match!

53. Darlene says:

I would be honored & have no reservations whatsoever to help someone in need!

54. Terri Hersh says:

I’ve been registered for 20 years and still anxiously waiting to be the match for someone!!!

55. clonazepam side effects says:

lol at the spam in here.. reminds me of one of the times I was on clonazepam. Couldn’t stop reading blogs all night long

56. Gary Szpont says:

I’m 60 time is running out. If I can help contact me!

57. Donna says:

Ready if I am needed. If this small gesture can save a life, how great a gift is that for both donor and donee?

58. Jose says:

I am ready!!

59. Hemant Abhichandani says:

I am ready if anybody needs it..

60. Daniel Connor says:

This is the time of year (December) when we all reflect in gratitude for how blessed and fortunate we are for the things we have and the gifts that have been given to us.
    I learned of the donor program years ago when my niece was sick with leukemia. The same family which saw one daughter pass from disease, felt the pain and tragedy strike twice with the passing of another young daughter. Although never called upon (yet), I look forward to the day of donation. To be selfless and give the gift of possible life so freely has to be one of the best feelings we can give in this world….

61. casey says:

Ready & able!!

I have not yet personnally known anyone who was in need of a bone marrow transplant but I think this is a wonderful resource for those in need and I am happy to be a part of it.

I have been trying to recruit others to join me…any advice for me??

Thank you. Happy holidays to all!!

62. Caroline says:

I have been signed up for many years. I’m now 60 years old, and still willing and able to do this if I’m ever needed. I wish you all, all the best.

63. James Kelly says:

I am ready , donated a kidney 3 years ago great feeling.

64. jim bautista says:

I am ready!

65. Michael says:

I am ready anytime and will go any where, I just need a call !!

66. Elaine Rountree says:

I’ll be ready when you call, because I am anxious to save a life,because I have been so blessed in mine.

67. ShellyMellon says:

I have been on the list since I was 19 yrs. old and have not had a call, but if I’m ever needed I will be there.

68. Patrick Cadry says:

Iv’e been in the registry for many years and did not know about the age requirement. I’m 61 already and would like to know if I still qualify.
    Thank You.

Hi Patrick, thank you for your comment. You can learn about why there are age limits for registry members here: http://www.bethematchblog.org/2011/05/why-are-there-age-limits-for-registry-members/

69. T. Lekeyia says:

I am ready! My aunt died when I was 13 from sickle cell anemia. I wanted to donate then but i don’t think i was a match or I was too young at the time. I wish there was a way to get other African Americans to understand the need to be registered & the need for donations. I am willing be it one time or one thousand times.. I guess its good that I also have the universal blood type O+.

70. Kitty Scanlon says:

I was called shortly after I registered in 1995. Someone else was a better match, so I didn’t get to donate. I now have 98 days until my 61st birthday, when I no longer will qualify to donate.
    Would like to get the chance to donate

71. Maggie Tang says:

I am ready anytime.

72. Kimberly says:

I received a call once a couple of years ago. I have been a donor for 7 years and they were very good about contacting me to tell me I wasn’t needed. I’m more than ready to donate anytime. God Bless and Merry Christmas!

73. Danielle says:

I have been ready since the moment I signed up. I hope to someday have the privilege to help someone out.

74. Donna Kerbel says:

Ready

75. Norma says:

I’m ready call me any time 🙂

76. Pat says:

My Cousin has ALL. I am on the list and would love to BE THE MATCH for him or someone. Every day and every person is/has a SPECIAL GIFT!

77. Doris Monroe says:

Ready and willingly. Call me anytime. I would love to be a Blessing for someone

78. Julie Condon says:

Here I am Lord
    Is it I Lord?
    I have heard you calling in the night
    I will go Lord
    If you lead me
    I will hold your people in my heart.

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/daniel-odonnell-lyrics-here-i-am-lord-t3xtzlf#ixzz1gzWC3vip
    LetsSingIt – Your favorite Music Community

79. Jenni Schilling says:

I’m ready to help someone.

80. Valerie says:

I will always be ready. I became a donor when my dad was diagnosed with cancer in 1997. I or no other match was found and he passed away. I later prayed to God asking him why and that I did not understand, but I was here if needed. The very next day I recieved a call that I was a match for a five year old litte girl! The process was easy. This was in 2000. God is good! We may not understand every situation here on earth, but God has definately showed me that some day I will understand. Once you donate you recieve updates for the first year. I was told this little girl spent her whole life in the hospital. A few months after the transplant, she was stable, tests showed cancer free and she was going to go home for the first time! God is good! I will always be ready!

81. Lauren Semeniuk says:

I’m ready & willing!

82. ankitadheeman says:

keeping up with more in your!!!it’s really helpful to anyone!! save a one life!!!

83. Brianna M. says:

Is this a procedure that will require lots of down time/clinic time? With a husband who deploys, I’m not sure what I would do with our two young children during the donation process if he happened to be gone, as all family lives out of state, but would love to get involved. Any parents have any stories or advice regarding this? I desperately want to join but don’t want to risk letting someone down!

Hi Brianna,

Thanks for your interest in supporting the cause! Typically, the time commitment for the donation process is 20-30 hours over a four to six week period. To learn more about the donation process, you can go here: https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/Donate-bone-marrow/Donation-process/

If you decide that joining the registry isn’t right for you, we encourage you find other ways to support the cause, please visit: https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/.

Our Best Wishes,