Meet Three Patients in Need of a Marrow Match and Learn What You Can Do

Posted February 18th, 2013 by Be The Match and filed in Patient Stories

Kevin is a journalist and a newlywed from California. Carol is a physician assistant and breast cancer survivor from South Carolina. And Andy (A-Dog) Williams is a young Hip-Hop DJ from Vermont. They don’t know each other, but they understand each other’s fight.

Each knows that somewhere in the world is a person who could save their life. They all have some form of blood cancer that can be treated with a marrow transplant. But none of them have a marrow match in their family and currently there is no matching donor on the Be The Match Registry®. So what’s next for them?

They’re not giving up, and you can help. Please spread the word to your family, friends and co-workers to join the Be The Match Registry today. The more people who join, the better the chances all patients have of receiving a transplant.

Thousands of patients are currently searching for a marrow match and too many, like Kevin, Carol, and Andy, are African American or multi-racial. Their odds of finding a marrow donor are lower because people who share their heritage are less represented on the Be The Match Registry. Ancestry matters. Join

18 Responses to “Meet Three Patients in Need of a Marrow Match and Learn What You Can Do”

1. Roxanne Torres says:

I am not sure if I match with any of them. Please look I am willing to donate.
    Blessings, Roxanne T

2. Deborah Helton says:

I saw a lady on TV with Jack Roper she is needing bone marrow and if you will send me a kit to see if I match with her or any of these I want to give, Thank you and have a Blessed day

3. Cindy says:

Is there anything further we as member can do to see if we’re a match for any patients looking for a donor? I would love nothing more than to donate to anyone I may match. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do, beyond being a member, to ensure my ability to help someone in need.
    Thank you!

Hi Cindy, the most important thing you can do is stay committed and make sure to update your contact info at http://www.BeTheMatch.org/update. We will contact you if you are identified as a match for a searching patient. Thanks!

4. Lindsay Weidman says:

How can I help. I would be happy to be a donor in any way.. lindsayweidman@yahoo.com

Hi Lindsay, if you are interested in joining the registry you can learn more at http://www.BeTheMatch.org/join. To find other ways to get involved and support Be The Match visit our Get Involved page at http://www.BeTheMatch.org/GetInvolved Thanks!

5. Jennifer says:

I will donate if I match!

6. Jan Sheehy says:

Hello! I am 50 years old and in excellent health. I would love to join but cannot afford the $100 fee at this time. I am certain that there are many others who would like to join but can’t afford to pay such a high fee. Seems a shame.

• Kiea says:

What $100 fee? I never had to pay one and neither did anyone else I know. It’s free to join and get the kit. You just send it back once you get it.

7. Carl Hensman says:

Jan:

As far as I know there is no fee. At least I have never paid one and am a listed and tested potential donor. Please contact Be The Match and follow up. But I believe you are mistaken that there is a fee.

Carl

8. Krista says:

I’m having a bone marrow registry drive on Sunday in Santa Barbara, CA and have shared this post with friends to put the names and faces of the dire need for more to join the Registry. Thank you for sharing this.

9. Jennifer says:

Seems a shame very few people know about how to become a donor. It hasn’t been addressed in the national media in a long time. Are there fliers or signs one can get from “be the match”?

Hi Jennifer, thank you for your interest in spreading the word! One great way to help share our message is to get involved on social media. Find social media and other ways to help promote the cause at http://www.BeTheMatch.org/GetInvolved today!

• Roseann Doucette says:

I am 67 years old. I had call last year and a young woman told me i was to old to be a donor. At 67 am I to old?

Hi Roseann, unfortunately a potential donor will age off our registry at age 61. However there are many ways to get involved! Visit http://www.BeTheMatch.org/getinvolved

10. Haley Eiseman says:

Hi I do not know if I am a match but if you could check for me. I really would love to help :D.

~Haley

11. Brenda Rogers says:

I will, if I match!

12. Estephany Rodriguez says:

Please email me or look me up on bethematch i am a registered donor