Posted October 18th, 2013 by Be The Match and filed in Donor Stories

Dear Donor,

I have thought about this day since June 6, 2011 when we learned that Kate required a bone marrow transplant. I’ve wondered how I would feel. How Kate would be doing.

How we would be managing this crazy adventure.

But, most importantly, I’ve wondered about YOU. How you would be feeling. How proud your mother must be of you. How amazing you are. How selfless you are. How much of a blessing you are to my family.

Today, you will be wheeled into an operating room, put under general anesthesia, and have a doctor collect your bone marrow. Nothing about the surgery you are willingly undergoing is easy. Yet you’ve selflessly agreed to do it.

No matter what stood in our way, no matter how many set backs we faced, or how many times we were rescheduled, you remained dedicated to this process. You made it clear that you would do anything to put Kate, and her health, at the center of this process.

So many nurses, doctors, and coordinators have told me how lucky we are to have such a serious, devoted, caring donor. While it’s nice to be reminded, I didn’t need them to tell me. I know, and have known since we got the call, that you were a special young man.

Today you will not just be wheeled into an OR to have a procedure. You will be wheeled into the OR as a hero, a life saver, an angel here on Earth.

You will save my daughter’s life. You will allow me to live out my dreams of being a mother. Allow Alex to continue to be an amazing daddy. Allow Kate’s grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends to keep loving her.

But, most importantly, you will allow Kate to live a long life. You will allow her to experience not only the great things in life, but the simple things too. Things like learning how to ride a bike, learning to read a book, experience her first day of kindergarten and her first day of college, experience the mountains and the beach, and so much more.

You are giving us the most amazing gift anyone could give. I am forever thankful for your willingness to save Kate and I pray that I will be able to hug you and thank you in person one day.

I also pray that you are able to witness Kate’s beautiful smile, her dimple, her joy, and her amazing personality.

Words will never be strong enough to express my gratitude. I just hope you can fully understand how much your gift means to our family.

We are praying for you and your recovery. Praying that this has not caused a huge disruption in your life. Praying for comfort as you heal. Praying that you know just how special you are.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for giving my Kate a second chance at life!

Much love,
Lindsey

Editors Note: A donor and recipient must wait one year before they can exchange contact information, if the donor center allow and both parties consent.

You have a power to give a child the gift of life. Learn more.

Kate and her marrow donor, Lance, met in October 2013. Watch the emotional video.

10 Responses to “A Grateful Mother’s Thank You Note to the Anonymous Young Man Who Saved her Daughter’s Life”

1. Eden says:

I teared up at this letter. I’m a 22 year old girl who is blessed with a wonderful mother. The blessings we’ve had of good health together is something other deserve. I entered the registry and will use the test kit when I receive it. Thank you for posting this. It made me 100% sure of my decision. Best wishes to Kate and Lance and your families.

2. Byron says:

Thank you for writing this. My 20 year old son will be a donor tomorrow morning. I’m so proud of him, but I also know how grateful you must feel for someone willing to donate.

3. vicki says:

I donated bone marrow in 1993 & stem cells in 2002. I’m 54 years old now & still on the donor list. Everyone should do this!

4. Lane says:

I donated stem cells three years ago, I could not wait to be a part of this. And your letter is exactly why. I donated to a young lady of 18 years old. I had remembered being 18 and excited about my future and going to college. I felt sad she wasn’t getting that chance to make those memories. I have recently become more involved with Be The Match and your letter and child is why. I think that every child should have a chance at a future. Have a chance to dream to be a fireman or a doctor. A sickness or disease should not take away their future.
    I am very happy your kate is doing good!
    Sending love and prayers to you and your donor and your families, I know the process is over but you’re both amazing people. A donor willing to give that dedication and a mother having to enduring all that stress and pain.

5. Jeri says:

I’m still waiting for the day I get called to be a match

6. Alex says:

Dear Lindsey,
    I just read your letter with tears in my eyes. About a month ago I got the call that I might be a possible match so I underwent all the necessary tests. Today I got the call that everything is ok and that the bone marrow transplant will take place by the end of this month. Like you were thinking constantly of the donor, I am constantly thinking of the Patient right now and what he or she might be going through at this moment. And I would love to let her or him know that I will go through with this, whatever is needed. Eventhough I live far away in Europe while the patient lives in the US, he or she is constantly in my thoughts. I can not wait for the day we might meet… He or she and his or her parents are not alone!

7. Mary says:

my son was a donor, a little over a year ago. I am so proud of him and the gift he shared with a gentleman battling for his life. My son and the man have talked a couple of times and have a bond that only they can understand.
    Hope that Iate is doing well, as well as the rest of the family. Hope you know that the donors are blessed by this experience!

8. Jojami O. Meneses says:

Hi! A blessed day to everyone. I have a cousin named Lester Navarro his from Chino Hills , Los Angeles California and diagnosed Leukemia and need also a bone marrow match. We are in the Philippines and we like to be the match all of his cousins here actually want to be the match. Is there process or what to do? where? Just let me know e-mail : jojamio@yahoo.com Thank you and God bless!

9. sbobet says:

Sure, if feels great to have a guy swooning over you, but real relationships are equal partnerships