Donation Fast Facts

Posted May 28th, 2015 by Be The Match and filed in News

Laura V fast facts cropped (1)

If you’re lucky enough to be called as a potential match for a patient in need of a marrow transplant, you’ll likely have some questions. To help prepare you for this potential opportunity, check out these Q and As about getting the call.

When will I be contacted as a potential match for a patient?

You could be contacted today, next year or you may never be contacted. One in 40 registry members will be identified as a potential match for a patient and called upon for additional testing. On average, one in 540 members will go on to donate.

How will I be contacted?

Be The Match will reach out to you using a variety of methods to let you know you’ve been identified as a potential match. You could receive a letter, email, phone call or text. It’s important to respond right away, as time is of the essence. Please keep your contact information updated so we can find you quickly.

What if I have questions when I’m contacted?

• We’re here to support you and will address any and all questions or concerns. But again, the most important thing is to call us back if you’ve been contacted.

If you’re the best match for the patient, the typical time commitment for the donation process is 20-30 hours over a 4-6 week period. Donors never pay to donate and are not paid for donating.

To learn more about the donation process, check out this interactive timeline.

11 Responses to “Donation Fast Facts”

1. Reenu says:

Hi,

I would like to know if I am a match for a patient needing bone marrow transplant. I have been on the registry for some time now and I am not sure how long or how often the data is ran against receipents needing the transplant.

• gina says:

it is run every day by someone’s physician. You have about one chance in 500 to be a match in your lifetime, but it will mean everything to that person. I never donated and I’ve been on the registry for 30 years. They look at the list of us all many times a day. Just keep your contact information updated! Best of everything to you.

2. admin says:

Hi Reenu,

Since you’ve been on the registry, you’ve been tested to be a potential match for everyone looking for a donor. You can get a lot more info on donor matching here: https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/Donate-bone-marrow/Donation-FAQs/

Also, we certainly want to make sure we can contact you if you’re a potential donor, so if any of your contact info has changed, please update it here: https://bethematch.org/Update-your-contact-information/

3. Peter Andrews says:

I want to give if matched however am not comfortable taking medications such as filgrastim that accelerate stem cell activity.

I am perfectly happy to have the hip biopsy.

Is this a problem?

Should I remove myself from the registry?

Hi Peter,

If you’re determined to be a match, then the type of donation would then become a conversation to have with doctors. At this point we would not recommend you remove yourself from the registry. We greatly appreciate your support. You can learn more about the types of donation here: https://bethematch.org/Transplant-Basics/How-marrow-donation-works/

4. Ronny Bradley says:

I’ve been a member of this registry for many years. I’ve been lucky enough to have been chosen TWICE. It’s an amazing feeling to know that I’ve helped two people with there struggle. Filgrastim shots do sting a bit but knowing the blessing that follows makes it well worth it!

5. Leah says:

Are there any options for me to donate my baby’s cord blood if my hospital doesn’t have a program? My baby is due in a few weeks and so far I haven’t had any luck finding a way to donate it, only private banking which I’m not going to pursue.

6. admin says:

Hi Leah

If your hospital does not collect cord blood for a public cord blood bank, you can start by answering the following questions at https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/Donate-cord-blood/Learn-if-you-can-donate-cord-blood/ to determine whether you meet cord blood donation guidelines. Then you can complete the Contact Information page, which will be forwarded to a cord blood bank that may be able to send you a cord blood collection kit. The cord blood bank will contact you 7 to 10 days after you submit your information.

Thank you for your interest in donating cord blood,

Be The Match

7. HP says:

Hi. I was notified as a possible match in Aug and have responded as requested. When will I be notified on whether I would need to donate or not? I don’t want to plan any trips in case I am needed.

8. Martha says: