Posted January 20th, 2017 by Be The Match and filed in News
Jason Carter

Jason Carter

Jason Carter, of Wayzata, Minn., battled leukemia for 4½ years, and his family’s extensive search for clinical trials helped extend his life and their time together. Sadly, he passed away in May 2016. He was 28 years old.

“We hoped Jason would live long enough to find a cure,” said Jason’s parents, Robert and Diana Carter. “He tried every new treatment and new therapy possible. It was still not enough. Only 5 percent of cancer patients take part in clinical trials. That number must greatly increase for outcomes to improve more quickly.”

The Carter Family

The Carter Family

The challenges and frustrations the Carter family faced in their search for clinical trials inspired them to honor Jason’s life by donating $1.25 million to Be The Match Foundation to fund the Jason Carter Clinical Trials Program to help patients identify and enroll in clinical trials more efficiently.

“Jason wanted to make a difference” said Diana Carter. “We are thrilled to partner with Be The Match to improve this process and help other patients find the best treatment resources available. Together, we can help save lives.”

Bob and Diana Carter attending a "Thank You" celebration and program kick-off at Be The Match with CEO Jeffrey Chell, and Foundation team members

Bob and Diana Carter attending a “Thank You” celebration and program kick-off at Be The Match with CEO Jeffrey Chell, and Foundation team members

“This donation from the Carter family will have a profound impact on patients and families for years to come,” said Joy King, Senior Vice President of Philanthropy and Executive Director for Be The Match Foundation. “We could not be more honored and excited to carry out Jason’s legacy through this new program. We sincerely thank the Carter Family for their generosity and compassion for all patients.”

Learn more about the Jason Carter Clinical Trials Program.

13 Responses to “A family’s love shines bright: $1.25 million memorial gift supports clinical trials”

1. Tina Broussard Fontenot says:

I have a 55 year old brother that received a diagnosis of glioblastoma (Grade IV)in December 2015. Had surgery and being treated at Sloan-Kettering in NY. He had a recent MRI that shows progression in new areas of his brain and starting to show signs of memory loss. Desperately looking for new trials to consider. Helping to gather info. Thanks

• Hello,

My name is Denise Pessetto, I work in the Clinical Trials office at Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah Hospital. We are a Comprehensive Cancer Center with many Neuro trials, I am including a link to our Neuro Trials. Hopefully this helps: http://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancancerinstitute/clinical-trials/find-clinical-trials-at-hci/brain.php

Hope being sent from Salt Lake City, Utah, for your brother and your entire family.

– Denise Pessetto
      Clinical Research Data Coordinator
      Huntsman Cancer Institute

• Diana Carter says:

A relative of ours received the same diagnosis last fall. They have been going to Duke, which is supposed to have one of the best brain centers. We also went to MD Anderson, in Houston, for Jason’s treatment. I am not sure for brain cancer how they measure up, but they are a very strong cancer center. If you are a decent researcher you might go to the clinical trials.gov site and do some of your own searching, that is where we started.

Good luck to you and your family as you look for help.

2. Alisha Wetherell says:

Have you tried http://www.researchmatch.com? A lot of doctors and research institutions go through that non-profit to find subject participants that meet the criteria for their trials. I’m no expert, but just a thought.

I’m sending hope for your brother and family.

3. Chares Taffinder says:

My condolences to the Carter Family for the loss of their beloved son Jason. The heartfelt gift your family provided to Be The Match is a loving memorial for your son and gives hope to so many families who are or one day will go through similar trials. God bless.
    Charles T, Miami, FL

4. Hazel E says:

What a wonderful testimony of endurance and determination. I have recently been working in the oncology department, what an eye opener! I have such a heart for these patients as I see their strength and hope as they endure their diagnoses and do their best to beat this disease. I had no idea how wide the spectrum is of people with cancer or how many people are living with cancer in my community. So, my hat’s off to Jason and his amazing family to continue his legacy by helping others try to win this fight for their life. God Bless you forever!

5. Terri says:

What a blessing your donation will be to so many patients & their families. What a wonderfully effective way to spread your love to others. Your love for Jason is very evident – I pray for peace and healing. God bless you all.

Thank you to “Be the Match” for keeping this community aware of the goodness of others.

6. Meg says:

I recently lost someone in my family–the same age as Jason Carter–to leukemia. To the Carter family: I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for honoring the life of your son and helping others with this tremendous gift.

7. Myra says:

My uncle recently passed away from triple hit lymphoma. It was very frustrating that various cancer treatment centers/hospitals don’t share their information for cures or treatment with each other for profit reasons. It is very difficult for people to navigate all the various websites trying to find clinical trials. Cancer Navigators are nice but they are spread so thin.

8. Tom Boris says:

My wife was diagnosed with AML in 9/15. We can relate to you and fully understand your situation with your son. I too had to beg my wife to eat. She went 3 weeks in the hospital without eating a thing. It is a terrible thing to watch your soulmate go through this horrific disease and treatment. This picture connected with my wife as how she felt for a long time. During that time she was very strong and didn’t want me to constantly worry about her discomfort so she stayed positive and didn’t let me into her pain. Thank you showing the world you and your son’s fight. As you said this is the reality of this disease. Political correctness is not part of leukemia. You don’t need anyone to tell you any different. They don’t understand and hope they don’t have to. We support you and God bless. One day one treatment at a time. Prayers and thoughts are with both of you from the Boris family.

9. Connie Truelsch says:

Sorry for the loss of your son, Jason. My daughter died at age 18 from leukemia in 2000. My hope is that there will also be clinical trials open to children, they are lost in the red tape. It is now 2017 and the same harsh drugs given to my daughter in 1990 when she was diagnosed, are still being given to children now. Thank you for helping others. No one wants to see their child, sibling, friend or spouse suffer and die too young

10. Cathy Miller says:

My heart goes out to all those families that have lost loved ones to this terrible disease. 6 1/2 years ago my world changed in a snap when I found out, due to a brake malfunction, there was a car accident. I lost instantly a daughter, son in law to be, and a baby granddaughter, my daughter was 4 1/2 mos. pregnant. No loss is easy.
    I went to be a match for a little girl who needed a match our community, and a close friend to a co-worker. I’m very surprised since then, I have never been notified to the next step of someone in need. Of the long list of people in need of a marrow transplant, or any kind of help, I would have thought the need and contact would have been more frequent. There really are people like me, that want to help if I can. I just wanted to put it out there. If it be God’s will, hopefully lives can be saved, one wonderful person at a time. 🙏🏼 To All

11. Yvonne Bays says:

I signed up with Be The Match in 1994. My son was born in December of that year. In 2011, he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I never imagined that my family would be in the position to possibly need a match. Fortunately, Adam has responded well to treatment and is now 21 years old.
    I would gladly be a donor if called upon. I think many others would as well if they only knew how important and how easy it is to register and donate.
    Thank you so much for your work in Jason’s name and memory.