College student gets in the game – Patrick’s donor story

Patrick Abdul was a leader in Wagner College football team’s “Get in the Game. Save a Life” marrow donor recruitment campaign in 2008. Their efforts added more than 200 students to the Be The Match Registry.

Two of those students have already been called as a possible
match. One of them was Patrick.

A two-year-old patient
Patrick went on to donate to a two-year-old boy with anemia. “The future for that two-year-old little boy hopefully is long and healthy,” says Patrick.

He hopes that his recipient “gets to do everything that I was able to do as a kid, with no health problems.… And grows up to play football, to be a strong guy like me,” he adds with a smile.

The chance to save a life
The chance to save a life meant a lot to Patrick. He was happy to be part of his team’s community service event adding people to the registry, but he didn’t give it much thought. When he learned he was a match, it really hit home for him that this was something real, something that mattered. He could actually be the one to save another person’s life. It was a great feeling.

The donation process
He donated peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), which required getting shots of a drug called filgrastim for five days. The filgrastim moves more blood-forming cells into the bloodstream where they can be collected for transplant.

“I’m not going to lie,” says Patrick. The side effects of the shots felt like getting the flu.

“So that wasn’t too pleasant. But it was only for five days, and you’re giving someone a lifetime. It was 100% worth it to me.”

Patrick is featured near the end of the new “Get in the Game” video made to inspire coaches and players to get involved in adding donors to Be The Match Registry.

13 Responses to “College student gets in the game – Patrick’s donor story”

1. varsha says:

having this mind set at such young age is something to feel proud about.
    i m proud of you patrick and hope every kid helps community the way you did.i am sure your parents are proud of u

2. Gary says:

I am very proud of you, Patrick. I hope one day that I will be honored to have an opportunity to pay back in some way for my 13 year old daughter’s liver transplant. I signed up to be the match a few months back and I started giving blood every two months. You are a role model to be looked up to. I wish you well. Thank you on behalf of all that have received the gift of life through organ, tissue, and marrow transplants.

3. Dave Sistaro says:

Patrick, I also signed up at a Wagner College drive. I could only imagine the feeling that you have being able to help that child ! I pray to God that someday I will be a match and will be able to give the gift of life to someone else. I wish all people would follow your example!! Great job !
    Dave Sistaro
    Staten Island

4. Sandy Stanley says:

Patrick, You are the man. My granddaughter was diagnoised with Sever Aplastic Anemia, in Oct 08, she was 3, her sister who was 4 was her only match. Such miricles, my granddaughter had her bonemarrow taken out of her hip and pelvic bones, for her little sister. she was a trooper. Thanks for being part and making such a difference. You will really never understand what a gift you have given. I am raising my grandduaghters and without a doner life is not very bright. Blessings on you. You have made a difference in this world, watch it ripple like a rock in a pond. Its gift will be never ending. You are a hero.
    Sandy, Annie,and Shelbie Stanley

5. sherry mcabee says:

Patrick, if no one has thanked you for your act of kindness let me do that now. thank you for helping that little boy. i could not imagne what that family was going through. i was really blessed that god gave me healthly children. i am a donator for save a life. i have also donatating my organ when i die. thank you again for being a kind human being. my god bless you and keep you healthy. you are a true hero for this family. sherry mcabee

6. Anonymous Donor - patient results pending says:

Patrick,
    You are an excellent example to follow and we are all pruod of you!!
    My wife and I joined the registry 6 years ago and one of us donated in 2010. It feels great knowing you have helped save a life. By telling your story, you inspire others to do the same. Good luck!
    Anonymous

7. Anonymous says:

Patrick, I’m very proud of you!I joined the registry about 2 years ago.I wish I get a call and for me soon to help out someone that is need to of a donor.I’m pretty positive I’m going to be a donor for my sister who has leukemia. I’ll be honor having the chance to save someone life so he or she can enjoy life. Once again Patrick I’m very very proud of you!!!

8. Sue says:

Patrick, my son had Aplastic Anemia when he was 9. We were blessed that his 23 year old brother was a match. Our boy is now 20 years old, healthy and strong, with only a few side effects of his treatment to deal with. Thank you for giving what only you could give – and what a family will gratefully remember for the rest of their lives.

9. Elizabeth Garcia says:

Patrick, what an awesome way to show your appreciation for being healthy. You will be truly blessed for such an unselfish act. I donated bone marrow back in 1992. I matched almost as soon as I registered. It was a joy for me to give a person a chance at life. Blessings to you.
    p.s. I was the first female Hispanic match in NY.

10. Tina Wilkes says:

Patrick, I know that little boy and his family are extremely greatful to you. I hope you are as proud of yourself as everyone is of you. What you did was amazing and unselfish. Working in a hospital, I know it wasn’t without some uncomfortable times for you, yet you did it. You
    seem to be an awesome young man, keep it up. May God Bless You.

11. Dave Reid says:

Awesome story, Patrick. Awesome involvement that paid off! I actually joined the registry 30+ years ago to help a young college athlete like you, but was not a match. Your story gives new meaning to the phrase “PAYING IT FORWARD”

12. Dawn says:

This appears thus essential however, you could be shocked exactly how many folks don’t
    possess a rigorous finances that they stay
    glued to.

13. Stan says:

4-6 Weekend Documents, determined by family size
    (be sure they’ve all promotion positions.