Help This Father Register 1,000 African American Marrow Donors

Posted February 18th, 2013 by Be The Match and filed in Patient Stories

Kevin Weston has perspective. He just wants to see his little girl grow up and to grow old with his wife. But to do that, he needs your help.

Like so many battling blood cancers, this 44-year-old journalist has leukemia and needs a marrow transplant, but doesn’t have a matching donor on the registry. He’s asking the nation to help him register 1,000 new African American marrow donors in the next two months. For Kevin, time is critical.

Patients are more likely to match someone who shares their ancestry and African Americans are under-represented on the registry. By adding more African Americans, patients like Kevin have a better chance at finding a match. Tell your family and friends in the African American community to join at BeTheMatch.org.

Read Kevin’s Full Story >

6 Responses to “Help This Father Register 1,000 African American Marrow Donors”

1. Too Fat says:

I tried to register but was told that I am too fat. Good luck to you. I am done!

• Carole Conrsd says:

Please don’t be upset. The medical guidelines are to protect you. The donor process is a medical procedure and can have health risks for those who do not meet the criteria. But, it is so awesome that you were willing to give. You sound very upset. You can turn a lemon into lemonade though. Since I could not donate, I hosted a donor registration at my work and was able to get 77 people to join the registry. My 29 year old son is a survivor of leukemia thanks to our precious donor!! Please consider following your heart to help.

• Anita says:

Pleas help me I got tested to be a donor for my sister but it did not work out, I am going to submit my test results to be come a donor. Pleas help my family my sister needs a stem cell transplant and we need money also

2. Terra says:

Praying for you as I am not able to register due to my own medical conditions. I will work to get the word out as much as possible. Grace and Peace to you!

3. Christy says:

Carol–
    How did you pay the $ for registering those 77 people? Did your employer pay or did each donor pay? I’m trying to arrange the same. Thanks!

4. layne3128 says:

Hi there, all is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s genuinely excellent, keep up writing.