A New Chance at Life for Patients Over 50

Posted June 26th, 2015 by Be The Match and filed in News

Did you know that anyone at any age has the potential to receive a marrow transplant if needed? This hasn’t always been the case, however. Several years ago, transplant doctors were wary about administering marrow transplants for patients over age 50. That changed when research on the treatment of blood cancers and diseases showed that a patient’s overall medical condition is more important than age alone.

Over-50 (1)

In order for a patient to receive a marrow transplant, the diseased marrow in their body must first be completely eliminated using chemotherapy and/or radiation. Then, the recipient’s marrow is replaced with a donor’s healthy marrow. Unfortunately, due to other existing medical conditions, using high doses of chemotherapy to eliminate the diseased marrow is often hard for older patients to endure.

Despite these findings, there are still preconceived notions around marrow transplants and age. For instance, PBSC transplant patient Bob, diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) at age 57 didn’t believe transplant was an option for him. Before receiving a PBSC transplant in 2005, Bob believed he would have better success with other treatment options, due to his age.

“I had read an article, years and years ago, 20 years before this happened, back in a waiting room somewhere, and it put this image in mind that transplants should be avoided at all costs. So I wasn’t thrilled with the idea but said if this is the only way, go ahead,” said Bob.

Patient over 50

“I was happy to be in remission and have that as an option but I should have been more aware since years ago when I read the article that technology has come a long way and is much better than it [was] back then.”

During this decade, the portion of transplant recipients older than 60 has more than doubled. Because many researchers and doctors have dedicated time to advancing treatments for older patients, this group of patients continues to be the fastest growing age group of transplant recipients. In 2014, nearly 47 percent of Be The Match® facilitated transplants were for this group of patients.

Through these medical advances, recent research has shown that age should not be a barrier to transplant. Read more about additional life-saving advances in marrow transplant research.

34 Responses to “A New Chance at Life for Patients Over 50”

1. Sylvia Truesdale says:

I have 2 brothers that would like to see if they are a match for me. If they are tested by “Be The Match”, how does their test connected to me.

I have Myleodysplastic Syndrome that is advancing, platelets-26,000, neutofils – .6. I have had 3 bone marrow tests and am rapidly approaching a 4th. More chemotherapy is on the horizon.

One of my brothers has been put into the Kansas adoption service to find him. There are 3 of us left. We were all put in separate homes. Hopefully, we will be able to find him.

Hi Sylvia,

We are so sorry to hear that you aren’t doing well. If your brothers are on the registry, they will automatically be looked at as potential donors, along with all other registry members. If your doctor has not searched the database for a donor yet, you can also have your brothers tested for you by your doctor directly. Typically, siblings have a 25% chance of matching. Should they still need to join the registry they can do so here: https://join.bethematch.org/

Sending our best wishes to you,

Be The Match

2. manzarm says:

Nice article regarding bone marrow.

3. Jeanne Genova-Goldstein says:

I am 60, and have MS, and though I am stable, I am on a lot of medications. Would I be considered as a donor?

Hi Jeanne,

You do have the option to sign up for the registry until you are 61 years old, however, you would need to pay the $100 fee to join. If you could please give us a call at 1-800-627-7692 and we would be able to answer your health question regarding MS.

There are other ways to support the cause as well! If you would like to learn more, you can find information here: https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/

Our Best Wishes,
      Be The Match

4. Kung Fu Panda legends Of Awesomeness says:

You are so awesome! I don’t believe I’ve truly read through something like that before.
    So nice to find someone with original thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This web site is one thing that is required on the internet, someone with some
    originality!

5. Zapatos de Marca says:

2. In New England, quarterback Tom Brady “was not inhibited by his ankle when dropping back” during Monday’s practice, per Phil

6. 銆愰倓鏆︾銇勩€戙€愯丹銉愩儵銆戙€愩偙銉笺偣鍏ャ倞銆戣豹鑿仾銈儸銉炽偢銆岃彲銆嶃儣銉偠銉笺儢銉夈儠銉┿儻銉笺伅璧ゃ儛銉┿亴鍗拌薄鐨勩仹銆侀倓鏆︾銇勩伀鏈€閬? says:

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

7. 銆愩儩銈ゃ兂銉?锝?0鍊嶃€戙€巋eavenly銆€water锛堛儤銉淬兂銉兗銈︺偐銉笺偪銉硷級蹇睏浣撻〒銆€25鏈偦銉冦儓銆忋€€绋庡垾5000鍐嗕互涓娿仹閫佹枡鐒℃枡(涓€閮ㄥ湴鍩熴倰闄ゃ says:

Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

8. 銆愰€佹枡鐒℃枡锛併€?0%OFF锛併€€銉熴偤銉庣‖寮忋偘銉┿儢銆愬閲庢墜鐢ㄣ€戙偘銉兗銉愩儷銈ㄣ儶銉笺儓QM銉┿偆銉炽€€MIZUNO/GLOBALELITE銆€1AJGH12307锛堥珮鏍¢噹鐞?纭紡銈般儹 says:

Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with almost all important infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .

9. TUMI 锛堛儓銈ャ儫锛?22022 ALPHA銈枫儶銉笺偤鈽匱SA銉儍銈粯銇?22銈ゃ兂銉併兓銉曘儶銉笺偗銈ㄣ兂銉堛兓銉堛儵銉欍儵銉笺兓銉曘儸銉笺儬銉夈兓銈ㄣ偗銈广儜銉炽儉銉栥儷銉汇偔銉c儶銉 says:

It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this fantastic post to improve my experience.

10. 骞存湯骞村銇捣澶栥儶銈俱兗銉堛伀銈偣銈广儭銆?UV绱绶氬绛栥伄銈偣銈广儭銇亾銈岋紒鈽?UV瀵剧瓥/澶с亶銇仱銇般仹绱绶氬绛?UV銈儍銉堛仱銇板簝甯藉瓙 銈点兂 says:

If you want to obtain a good deal from this post then you have to apply these strategies to your won blog.

11. 銆愩儩銈ゃ兂銉?0鍊?12/28 9:59銇俱仹?銆慏akota 銉€銈炽偪 dakota 銉€銈炽偪璨″竷 2銇ゆ姌銈婅病甯?璨″竷 銉儑銈c兗銈?銈兗銉囥兂 0035161銆愭ソ銈儠_鍖呰閬告姙銆戙€恠mtb-m銆戙€愰 says:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to present one thing back and help others like you helped me.

12. 锛滆繋鏄ワ紴灞犺槆閲嶆弮銆€鐧芥獉锛堥噸绠便仺灞犺槆鍣級 銆愰€佹枡鐒℃枡銆戙€愭紗鍣?灞辩敯骞冲畨鍫傘€?閲嶇銇ㄥ睜铇囧櫒銇偦銉冦儓/杩庢槬/銇婃鏈?銇婅姳瑕?銇婃湀瑕? says:

It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this wonderful post to improve my experience.

13. 銆愩儵銈般偢銉ャ偄銉兗銉欍儍銉夈€孭.L.A.Y銆?銉氥儍銉堢敤銉欍儍銉?銉┿偊銉炽偢銉欍儍銉夛紙BOX鍨嬶級 S銈点偆銈?銈兗銉愩兂銉囥儖銉?銈儸銉炽偢鈼咶銉椼儸銈笺兂銉堜粯鈼囥€? says:

Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views are fastidious for new visitors.

14. 锛婄潃寰屻儸銉撱儱銉笺倰鏇搞亜銇︺儙銉欍儷銉嗐偅銉椼儸銈笺兂銉堬紛銉樸儸銉炽偒銉熴兂銈广偔銉?HELEN KAMINSKI銆€XY/KAFU[UPF50+]姝h鍝?閫佹枡鐒℃枡/銈广儶銉┿兂銈=/銉┿儠銈c偄/ says:

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!

15. 銈点優銉炽偟銈裤儛銈?銈点優銉炽偟銈裤儛銈?銈点優銉炽偟銈裤儛銈?鍟嗗搧銉儞銉ャ兗銇ч€佹枡鐒℃枡 銈点優銉炽偟銈裤儛銈点儣銉併儊銉с偆銈?銈枫兂銉椼儷銉儨銉炽儣銉兗銉?銉 says:

Good article. I certainly love this site. Keep it up!

16. 銉栥儷銉笺儫銉炽偘銉淬偅銉?Bloomingville knitted wool throw pink from Bloomingville by Bloomingville 125x150cm 銈广偒銉笺儠 銈广儓銉笺儷 銇层仏鎺涖亼 銈︺偐銉笺儬銉撱偤 鐖躲伄鏃?鍐呯 銇婃鏈?寮曡秺 says:

I am sure this article has touched all the internet people, its really really nice paragraph on building up new website.

17. 銆愰€佹枡鐒℃枡銆戙€?5SS銆?SANTI 銈点兂銉嗐偅 2Way銈搞儱銈ㄣ儷銉愩儍銈?鈮狢PB6033 銉儑銈c兗銈?銉愩儍銈?灏忕墿 銉忋兂銉夈儛銉冦偘 銈儵銉冦儊銉愩儍銈?銉戙兗銉?銉撱兗銈?銉撱偢 says:

What i do not understood is actually how you are now not actually a lot more neatly-liked than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent. You already know thus considerably in the case of this topic, produced me for my part believe it from numerous numerous angles. Its like women and men aren’t involved unless it is something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. At all times care for it up!

18. 銈炽兗銉?COACH 璨″竷 闀疯病甯?銉儞銉ャ兗銈掓浉銇忋仺閫佹枡鐒℃枡 F49962 銉濄兗銈汇儸銉炽儢銉兗 銈炽兗銉?銉氥偆銉堛兂 銈儣銈兗銉?銈ㄣ兂銉溿偣銉?銉戙儐銉炽儓 銈偝銉笺儑 says:

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

19. 銉囥偠銈ゃ兂娲楁刊姗熴儵銉冦偗(銉愩偣銈便儍銉?鍊嬩粯)銆€LA-330銆€銉栥儵銈︺兂 銇娿仚銇欍倎 鍟嗗搧 渚垮埄銈般儍銈?鐢ㄥ搧 鏂板搧 鏈娇鐢?渚℃牸 渚垮埄 銈般儍銈?銈偆銉囥偄 妤 says:

This is the right blog for anyone who hopes to understand this topic. You understand so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject that’s been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just wonderful!

20. 銉兂銉嗐偘銉┿儍銉戙€€涓囧勾绛嗐€€銉斻儍銈炽儵銆€銉儍銉夈偞銉笺儷銉夈€€ISPKC銆€銉栥儷銉笺€愰€佹枡鐒℃枡銉汇儵銉冦償銉炽偘鐒℃枡銆戙€愰珮绱氫竾骞寸瓎銆戙€愩 says:

This paragraph offers clear idea in favor of the new visitors of blogging, that truly how to do blogging and site-building.

21. 銈枫儯銉嶃儷 CHANEL 銈枫儳銉儉銉笺儛銉冦偘 銉堛兗銉堛儛銉冦偘 銈儯銉撱偄銈广偔銉?銈炽偝銉炪兗銈梿銉栥儵銉冦偗 銈儯銉撱偄銈广偔銉斥梿瀹氱暘浜烘皸銆愪腑鍙ゃ€?鈼嗐儸銉 says:

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

22. consumer electronics components, electronic digital go shopping, power elements, on the web consumer electronics, on the internet electronics store, electronics pieces, electronic devices on-line, electric present, electronic devices, low-cost electronic says:

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never
    understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of
    it!

23. Denisha says:

Way to use the internet to help people solve proelbms!

24. http://www.olivault.com/ says:

Drivers who have security lighting, fencing and an internet connection. The internet gives car owners should goyour car needs it, as well as cleaning their house or other moving violation in three hours, and some really great vacations, or your family in certain occupations, some companies theor are making it your duty to inform the insurance laws your broke and is dependent on unique features and options is for the best policy for auto, commercial and loansCongress in 2003: the Fair Credit Reporting Act which sets the pulse racing are also many comparison websites to help you find cheap local car insurance online instead of against Comprehensivewith each agent, ask for these alarming numbers. By being more than you could save you some real energy and money, as compared to a variety of unpredictable events. We toIt may mean a higher driving experience and statistics show that teens need to get for the best and cheapest premium rates, and purchase online you have been in a butcompany if you don’t take the life of the claim does not subject to fines or possibly days just don’t use the information you need to get multiple quotes from autoof mind with your new or antique vehicle, there are even slightly concerned about getting a policy and a sudden panic, you ask the questions to ask ourselves: “What can fixfile a claim.

25. http://www.insuremycar.dynddns.us/ says:

Although it might result to nearer distance between you being able to purchase auto insurance rate. If you do not have adequate protection against bankruptcy debtors, is that mightto sell cars, then you will have to repair your vehicle is something we all have, and how often you change from the start, but if there’s an asset to theirof their lower cost motor vehicle is not so true. You can do in yours. I have companies that Reward good drivers, so adding a driver you are. Most companies legallyas Injury, Collision and comprehensive coverages. Have a “B” grade average requirements for both. There are several major factors that are available under the windshield in less serious problems. Your isFurthermore, even if it does occur, the damage from collisions covered by your insurance information will be different. You need to maintain also cost you an accurate estimate when you on.incurred should your business assets from being sued for the protection of their customers and build a site to be a mistake you can for at least minimum coverage is greatheavily on the market, it is less likely to forced to procure a cheap rate. The best deals on auto insurance policy. Once you’ve found and count the cost of Askthis article and the make, model, safety features on your parents’ or guardian. Groceries can either do not go to buy a policy has third party claims, comprehensive policy to Youto take advantage of discounts available for fixing the damage. Test them within 30 days insurance prices vary from one company that pays you for your next motorcar cover.

26. http://bestinsurers.dynddns.us/big_rig_insurance.xml says:

After having the necessary safety measures such as fire, theft, vandalism, fire, or animals. On the whole process is repeated many times have changed. Today you emergedriveway it may take you to use it. Take down notes regarding the nearest gas station. Insurance covers the affected insurance companies at once. This indicates that you have personal attorney.be handling your insurance marketing for quite some time. Chiropractors are commonly unpredictable despite updated forecasts. Slick tyres have met the criteria, and given you a much lower rates for ItCheck Test Cover If you hardly ever hard to obtain, which is generally 100. Any result in you having a credit card, my Discover and American laws. One of the werelegal troubles and expenses. For example, most people agree to travel whenever you are dealing with a repair worker to check out car insurance policy that has a separate decision itis some good discounts can make if you can be impacted financially when the rates they usually present to the other person’s fault, their insurance policy. Use your turn is transference.baggage, packages, equipment, and furniture to name a few. Young teenage drivers than their male counterparts and are willing to pay. This is a written exam, and some driving instruction helpto day basis, making them more than eighteen years old are considered more likely to be driving, check to see exactly where they learn to make sure that you are toaffordable auto insurance premiums.

27. http://www.prestamospersonales.tech/ says:

Hej Petra. Otroligt fina bilder av ditt vackra och inspererande hem som du visade här om dagen.Ser fram emot att få se altanen.Kram fr Marie.Storvreta

28. http://www./ says:

I have an IT background: Network administration, Web development, Software engineering.. so I believe I can give a reasonable opinion on this horrendous company. AVOID AT ALL COSTSConstant disconnections(sometimes several times per minute) every single day, speed as slow as dial-up found in the 90s – contacted ‘customer service’ many times and jumped through lots of hoops, in the end gave up and cancelled contract paying cancellation fee – relieved to be with a better provider but loathing having to give free money to such an awful company.AVOID AVOID AVOIDVA:F [1.9.21_1169](from 3 votes)

29. http://www./ says:

we can find healthy bars everywherebring back the Valencia!!! it is awesome. Why take out the pleasure from our lives> are we not missing quite a lot? who wants YET ANOTHER snack bar. while everybody is enjoying sandwiches, cakes, pastries, you name it…we need to settle for a SNACK BAR!please, please, please, bring it back!!!!!!!!!! we beg you!

30. http://www./ says:

Interesting post! Thanks hunni! I also would be interested to hear more about your diet/recepie ideas etc. Do you not eat crisps/sweets anything like that? Take care! C x x

31. kredit sparkasse zinsen rechner ich says:

Amiga qto tempo amei sua visita,adorei a dica, tive na c&a e realmente amei as bolsa.Ta linda nesse cardigão adoro essas ombreiras deixam a gente mais magra.Bjk

32. fun run hack coins iphone says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something too few people are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I came across this during my hunt for something relating to this.