Kamryn Can’t Wait – She Needs Your Help

Posted May 8th, 2017 by Be The Match and filed in Patient Stories

Kamryn is 11 years old. She’s an only child and a straight-A student who loves singing and playing the keyboard. While there are many typical things about this vivacious girl from Oklahoma City, she also faces a life-threatening battle: sickle cell anemia.

Kamryn, searching patient

Kamryn needs a bone marrow transplant or her life will be cut short. It is the only known cure. This is the reality her family must face every day, and Kamryn can’t wait. She has had five potential matches, but none were willing or able to donate marrow.

How you can help

Joining the registry is one of the first – and perhaps best – things you can do to help Kamryn and patients like her in their search for a match. You can support Kamryn by joining the marrow registry at www.Join4Kami.org. By joining Be The Match Registry® as a potential marrow donor, you can actually save someone’s life – how amazing is that?

An astounding 70 percent of patients don’t have a fully-matched donor in their family. The bottom line is this: Waiting patients are depending on your involvement with Be The Match. And while the outcome is most certainly life-changing, it also has the potential to be life-saving.

Younger donors are especially needed at this time. While people of many ages are encouraged to register, it is recognized that the younger a person is, the healthier their bone marrow likely is. Put simply, more healthy bodies means more possible matches for patients like Kamryn.

Increased odds

Sickle cell disease affects about 70,000 – 100,000 people in the United States alone. It’s most common among African Americans and Hispanics, but is also found in other ethnic and racial groups.

A patient is most likely to match someone of the same ethnic ancestry or ethnic background. For patients like Kamryn, who are African American or Black, the chance of finding a suitably matched, available donor on the registry is 66-76%.

Be The Match is constantly looking to expand the ethnic diversity of the registry. It increases the variety of tissue types available, and ultimately helps more patients find the match they need.

Join today to help patients like Kamryn stop searching – and start thriving.

19 Responses to “Kamryn Can’t Wait – She Needs Your Help”

1. Lori Muiter says:

I am 49yrs old female, I would love to be tested and help out this beautiful little girl or anyone I could. But I can not afford the $100 fee.

• Sabrena says:

What $100 fee? They sent me a kit in the mail to send my samples in and even sent a prepaid postage envelope for return.

• Patsy Molina says:

same here I got the kit in the mail and I filled it out and send it back. I didn’t have to pay no $100.

• Be The Match says:

Hi Lori!
      For ages 18-44, Be The Match covers the cost of registration. For those 44-60, we ask that they cover the $100 cost. Doctors choose donors based on what is best for their patient and research shows that cells from younger donors provide the greatest chance for transplant success. 18-44 year olds are called to donate 90% of the time.

As a non-profit, we must use the funds given to us wisely. We focus on adding registry members most likely to donate to help save the most lives. If you are between the ages of 45 and 60 and want to join the registry, you’re welcome to with a $100 tax-deductible payment to cover the cost to join. If you are unable to cover the cost, there are so many ways to help patients like Kami! By simply sharing this article, you are giving hope to Kami and the 12,000 other searching patients in need. We are so thankful for your willingness to help and grateful for your support!

2. Ricardo Ross says:

What is meant by “Mail” (will not be published). Are you asking for EMAIL ADDRESS? ‘HOME’ ADDRESS?

3. Ricardo Ross says:

How do I get the ball rolling as far as donating?

• Be The Match says:

Hi Ricardo!
      You can join the registry online at http://www.Join4Kami.org! Simply fill out the online form and a swab kit will be mailed to the address you provide. From there, you’ll swab your cheeks and send it back. Your kit will then be processed in our labs to determine your HLA and tissue type. If you are a match for any of the 12,000 patients in need of a transplant, you will be contacted for next steps!
      Let me know if you have any other questions!
      Be The Match

4. Marilyn John says:

Please test my sample and see if I match. Please email me ASAP, if I am a match. I’d love to help. God bless her.

• Be The Match says:

Hi Marilyn,
      If you joined the registry, you are automatically checked to see if you are a match for Kamryn for any other patient in need. Although you might not be a match for this little girl, you could for someone else! We encourage you to keep your contact information as up-to-date as possible in the event you are called to donate. You can easily do so online here: https://bethematch.org/update-your-contact-information/
      Let us know if you have any questions!
      Thank you!
      Be The Match

5. Meg says:

There is only a fee if you are over 44 years of age. Otherwise the kit is free.

Usually, unless you are family member, they are only interested in people on the national registry who are between 18 and 44. And, again, then the kit and testing is free.

Hope that helps.

You can register at join.bethematch.org

6. Karla McDonald says:

I have CMML My sisters want to be tested but are both over 44 years old. Is there still a required fee for them to be tested?

• Be The Match says:

Hi Karla!
      We ask that ages 18-44 cover the $100 cost of registration. Doctors choose donors based on what is best for their patient and research shows that cells from younger donors provide the greatest chance for transplant success. 18-44 year olds are called to donate 90% of the time. As a non-profit, we must use the funds given to us wisely. However, your sisters can be privately tested in order to see if they are a match for you.
      Let us know if you have any questions!
      Be The Match

7. Karen King says:

I’m very healthy but over 44. Anything I can do to help this little girl, I’ll do.

• Be The Match says:

Hi Karen!
      Thank you for your willingness to help Kami! If you are between the ages of 45 and 60 and want to join the registry, you’re welcome to with a $100 tax-deductible payment to cover the cost to join. If you decide not to join the registry, there are so many ways to help patients like Kami! By simply sharing this article, you are giving hope to Kami and the 12,000 other searching patients in need. We are so thankful for your willingness to help and grateful for your support!
      Thank you!
      Be The Match

8. Joni Stacey says:

Why would you charge anyone, no matter their age if they are willing help someone. For this reason, I question the true need…

• Be The Match says:

Hi Joni,
      As a non-profit, we must use the funds given to us wisely. We focus on adding registry members most likely to donate to help save the most lives. If you are between the ages of 45 and 60 and want to join the registry, you’re welcome to with a $100 tax-deductible payment to cover the cost to join. There are so many ways to help patients like Kami though! By simply sharing this blog post, you are giving hope to Kami and the 12,000 other searching patients in need. We are so thankful for your willingness to help and grateful for your support!
      -Be The Match

9. Patsy Molina says:

I am a 29 year old I will be 30 in November. I would love to help give Kamryn a bone marrow transplant. I am very health. I would love to be tested.

• Be The Match says:

Hi Patsy!
      Thank you for your willingness to help Kamryn! You can join the registry online at Join4Kami.org. We ask that if you do join the registry though, you are committed to donating to any patient in need of a life-saving transplant. We currently have 12,000 patients searching for their match!
      Let us know if you have any questions!
      Thank you!
      Be The Match

10. Laura kislowski says:

I joined years ago. Please check to see if I am a match. I would love to help.